Tuesday 7 August 2012

The Olympics, Twitter and Work - an Unholy Trinity.

I started the month with such good intentions.  I had my list of things that need to be done and accomplished:

1) Update website - new photos and content.
2) Write out details and a list of new blogs
3) Update twitter
4) Sort out Twit for You
5) Paperwork and accounts (I know that is an ongoing situation) but I need to remind, chivvy myself to do this!
6) Sort out children stuff
7) Ongoing jobs – keep them going and working (although they are rather quiet at the moment)!

You get the drift – all those things  that a person running their own business and a family has to do.

Then what happens - The Olympics!

I have to admit that I am not a sporty person:  I don't  follow any sports, champion a team, watch the telly avidly or get absorbed, I walk my dog, swim sometimes, play a little social tennis etc etc.  - but, starting with the opening ceremony I have become rather obsessed with the Olympics.  I have been watching sports that I know nothing about, shouting at the television in the hopes that the athletes can hear me, started reeling off statistics and criticising the athletes techniques.   Last week I knew nothing - this week I am an expert.  We have had the television or computer live feed on - all the time!  The children are enjoying the wall to wall television with not so much of a whimper of protest from me.   It has all been wonderful.  The atmosphere in London is fantastic, the coverage has been superb (so much better than the Jubilee) the commentators appropriate (in the main) and the skill, fitness and ability of these dedicated athletes a joy and wonder to behold.

What with Olympic TV coverage 20 sports plus (how does one choose?) and Twitter stream comments I haven't got anything done.  The back up of items to do on my list is getting rather frightening.  So, I have promised myself that once the closing ceremony is over, that is it - nose to grindstone and I will (hand on heart) start to get some work done!

You have it in writing - tell me off if I don't!

No comments:

Post a Comment